The charter for the exploitation of this coal mine in the German Ruhr area was awarded in the beginning of the 1860s, but it would take another 40 years before test drilling would be carried out for the first time in this eastern part of the almost 40 square mile mining area. From 1912 the actual reclamation of Zeche M began, where anthracite was mined. It was mined at depths ranging between 1150 and 2800 feet. During the peak years, 2.5 million tons of anthracite were annually won by more than 8,000 employees. Exactly 100 years after the start of the mining the mine was shut down. A large part of the buildings has now been demolished. It is not entirely clear whether everything will be demolished in the long run, or that this building with the monumental entrance hall and the halls with the typical hanging baskets will be preserved… During our visit the building was still heated.