WASSERWERKE

WASSERWERKE

This former sewage treatment plant is a classified industrial building in the German industrial town of Krefeld. The building was designed by architect George “Jörg” Bruggaier and is considered an architecturally important example of the Jugendstil. The factory, built between 1908 and 1910, was used to purify the sewage of the entire city of Krefeld. It is one of the last remaining purification plants from the early days of urban purification systems in Germany. Until 1962 the treatment plant was used in the original state of waste water. From then until 1996 it was – after the installation of special new jacks – only continued as a pumping station. In 1996 the whole was rendered obsolete when an adjacent new pumping station was opened. In addition to the large hall (main building), which includes two sewer channels, an overflow channel and the hall crane, there is also the lime pumping station (engine room) and the manager’s residence (living area approx. 74 m² – built in 1921/1922 according to plans by the architect Anton Rumpen). The original sluice house is still owned by the Krefeld municipal company for sewerage technical reasons and today serves as access to rainwater flooding.

The old purification station was purchased by 4 friends, who want to give it a new purpose, while respecting the historic and architectural character of the building. To keep vandals out, the building was recently protected with cameras and motion detectors and can only be visited with permission…


%d bloggers like this: