Bohuslav Fuchs, City of Brno Pavilion, Brno, Czechoslovakia, (1927-1928)
In 1923 Bohuslav Fuchs participated in a competition to design the city of Brno’s new exhibition ground on Bauer’s Ramp. Although his design ranked third, the architect would influence the appearance of the exhibition ground later, when he designed the City of Brno Pavilion. This plain block structure with a ferro-concrete skeleton and brickwork wallings rested on pillars and opened towards lake view on it’s eastern side. The entrance hall was lit by a glassed wall via a monumental staircase connecting both exhibition floors, while the upper level was lit by skylights. The red ceramic cladding at the main entrance was accompanied by a ceramic sculpture by Josef Kubíček. The hall served its original purpose for a short time only. In the following years it was a post office, then a warehouse, At present it hosts rehearsals of the Brno Philharmonic Orchestra.