Race to the Top – 2018
Blue Bonnets Raceway’s history dates back to it’s roots in 1872 when it operated at the Jos. Decary Farm located in the neighbourhood now known as Montreal West. It was later moved to a new location on Decarie Boulevard in 1907. In 1958 a new multi-million dollar clubhouse was built (pictured here). In 1995 Société d’habitation et de développement de Montréal (SHDM) who were the current owners renamed the racetrack Hippodrome de Montreal. Shortly after being renamed the municipal government corporation SHDM sold the racetrack to the provincial government agency SONACC (Societe nationale du cheval de course), during the province’s ownership the track hosted harness racing, inter-track wagering from the US and off-track betting, it also housed two restaurants, hundreds of video lottery terminals and slot machines. In October of 2009 the Hippodrome de Montreal declares bankruptcy and shuts the doors permanently.
After the ownership of the racetrack had been returned to the City of Montreal demolition finally began on the building this past summer. Although there are no current plans set in stone, it is speculated that the racetrack’s former site could see between as many as 3000 to 8000 new condo units built within it’s 434,000 square metre terrain in the future.
Blue Bonnets Raceway (Hippodrome de Montreal), Montreal, Quebec, Canada.