This abandoned mansion was built around 1895 by order of the owner of a nearby weaving mill. Originally established as a summer residence, the country house served several purposes throughout history. For example, at the time of the Third Reich it was a Reich Labor Camp. After the war, the castle was transformed into a school for the training of judges, and later a “pioneer leadership school” was housed in it. In 2018, the beautiful building fell prey to the flames after a fire was started. The entire roof was destroyed. Fortunately, the staircase with the blue stucco ceiling, for which the building is known, was spared.
Sweet little abandoned car, sitting in the woods somewhere. Couldn’t find out anything whatsoever about where it came from, why it’s there or why doesn’t anyone care for it anymore. Beautiful and sad at the same time…
Biomass Power Plant was a thermal power plant, built in 1974 and commissioned in 1976. The plant had a total capacity of 556 MWe, which was mainly generated by two steam turbines. These turbines were powered by coal and biomass. In 2012, the operator received an environmental permit to burn 100% biomass. This enabled the plant to claim “green energy certificates”. As a result, the operator could receive a of 2.2 billion euro grant over a 10-year period, but due to problems with the heat exchanger the necessary investments for the conversion were never made. The Flemish Energy Agency rejected the request for postponement, as a result of which the plant loses the grant and is forced to cease activities. Since April 2017, Biomass Power Plant has gone bankrupt and the plant has been shut down. This caused the last coal-fired power station in Belgium to disappear. The already licensed demolition was postponed in 2018 and the power plant was fired up one last time to compensate for the winter energy scarcity. Today, the demolition is in full swing …
A first class compartment of a train, a dining car and a goods carriage have been rusting away for years. Particularly the first class compartment, with its velvet upholstery and wooden veneer, is reminiscent of a time when travel by rail was considered a luxury. Unfortunately I could not retrieve any information as to why the carriages were abandoned.
The story of this Zeche (coal mine) starts as early as 1855, but the digging work did not start until 1912. Shortly after the start of production mining was considerably delayed by the outbreak of the First World War. It was not until 1915, fully in the war years, that coal was brought up from a depth of almost 400 meters. Shortly after the war the second shaft was put into use. Along with the other shafts of the mine, in the peak years (1980s), up to nearly 3 million tons of coal were extracted from the earth by more than 4,000 miners … From that time on, however, the success of the mine began to decline. In the early 2000s, the day facilities of shaft 3 were completely dismantled. From 2003 to 2005, the day facilities of Zeche N1 were completely demolished, with the exception of main frames 1 and 2 as well as the machinery (power plant) and the building of the former mine weir, to which the gas extraction system is attached. These must be kept as industrial monuments. The Zeche N4 (of which I will post an album shortly) a little further is still completely preserved.
Large parts of this former monastery of the Sisters of Charity of Jesus and Mary, founded in 1815, have already been demolished to make way for new buildings. The monastery complex originally included the monastery itself, a semi-public chapel, a nursing home, a kindergarten, a primary school, a secondary school and a public library. The secondary school was transferred to another building and the monastery and nursing home have since been relocated to a new care institution built in the early 1980s. At the end of the 1980s a new monastery for the remaining sisters was built as an extension to this new nursing facility. In this series you can see the part of the school building complex located nearest to the street, the oldest part of which is the primary school, founded in the mid-1860s. At the beginning of the 1920s, the former national household school was added, which later became the primary boys’ school. Judging by the quite advanced decay of the buildings, it is hard to believe that the the property was vacated less than two years ago …
Construction of this hospital started in the spring of 1905. The official opening was year later. Because of a particularly large number of cases of meningitis in the area, the operations already started a few months earlier, at the beginning of January 1906. At that point the hospital was not yet completed. The hospital later specialized in dermatology, plastic surgery, rheumatology and coloproctology (rectal disorders). Besides that occupational therapy, naturopathy, physiotherapy, pain relief, social services and wound treatment were also offered. In 2011 the majority of the shares were taken over by an investment group. As part of the economic renovation, the hospital was closed and the most recently specialized departments were transferred in July 2013 to a nearby hospital of the same group. The empty building fell partly on the city and partly on the diocese. In the summer of 2014 the building was put into use as emergency accommodation for asylum seekers, but barely one and a half years later the asylum seekers were banned from the hospital. After that it was the intention to demolish part of the hospital and build offices or apartment buildings there and transform the rest of the building into a kindergarten. In November 2018, it was announced that the former hospital would become the construction site of a new residential area. About 350 new apartments will be built on the 45,000 square meter site.