GREEN WORLD

GREEN WORLD

This large farm is one of the buildings in a park around a chateau, including the caretaker’s house. It is located within the castle domain, northeast of the castle.  The farm consists of anchored brick buildings under saddle roofs (decorative red and black Flemish tiles), set around an inner courtyard. The farm dates back largely to the fourth quarter of the 19th century. The south wing is formed by beautiful conservatory and aviary, now overgrown by weeds, which gave rise to the pseudonym “Green World”. The chapel that was added to the north wing is much more recent. 

The last photo is an inside view of the separate chapel in the forest to the south of the farm. This was originally the ice cellar. It dates from the fourth quarter of the 19th century and was established as a chapel in the beginning of the 1990′s. The octagonal pavilion of brick and knotty wood stands on a plinth of local iron sandstone. The plastered interior contains recycled neo-Gothic high reliefs from a West Flemish abbey. The stained-glass windows were recuperated from an unspecified demolished Walloon church.


FERME DE MARAICHAGE This historic farm (a so-…

FERME DE MARAICHAGE

This historic farm (a so-called ‘Herrschaft’ or ‘fief’) can be found for the first time in 1600. It was originally a ‘loan’ from the lord of the nearby municipality. In a meadow to the west of this farm, the German occupying forces constructed an airfield during the First World War, of which the preserved cemented building under the hipped roof (ridge perpendicular to the street, Flemish pans), now used as a cowshed is still a remnant. The farm complex is made up of several low, separate components, arranged in U-shape around a partly cobbled yard. The constructions consist of anchored brick building under saddle roofs. West of the farm is a farm from the fourth quarter of the 19th century. Around the house and built in the same building style are several service buildings, including a coach house and several stables and barns. The interior of the house has been reasonably preserved. Especially the rooms under the roof, with authentic furniture are particularly beautiful. Unfortunately, the building has not been spared from “stagers”, people who mistakenly call themselves “urban explorer” and scamper whole interiors to make a “unique” shot …


ianference: Godfrey Stancil House, 2012.  In the small town of…

ianference:

Godfrey Stancil House, 2012.  In the small town of Penny Hill, NC, a local merchant going by Godfrey Stancil did pretty well for himself; he was able to have a rather large house built in 1840.  In the ensuing 170 years, the house was added onto, abandoned, and eventually gutted by scrappers, who went so far as to steal the original hardwood floors (by cutting out the boards in large swathes with a circular saw).  But in its day, it was clearly a lovely home.  And on the stormy day I photographed it over three years back, it was still a beaut.

Print available here.

[Patreon] – [Facebook] – [The Kingston Lounge]


%d bloggers like this: