CHARLIES CHAPEL

CHARLIES CHAPEL

This single-aisled brick chapel in honor of Our Lady of Seven Woes was built in 1883 in neo-gothic style. It is located on the castle domain of Chateau Jumanji and served as a neighborhood chapel and starting point for the district procession. The chapel contains a three-sided choir with a painted wooden altar and with a polychrome statue of Our Lady of Seven Woees. Behind the iron closing gate is a ship with benches. On the walls; white painted images of saints on baroque consoles with angel figures including Saint Joseph, Saint Anthony and Saint Margaret. Although it is listed as heritage, the chapel is in a particularly deplorable condition and there are noticeable cracks in the walls and multiple subsidence. Since the chapel was opened, the situation has only deteriorated visibly. Several statues were destroyed by vandalism. As part of the renovation work on the manor, the chapel has already been emptied in light of the pending renovation…


Workshop by Marco Orazi Via Flickr: Dust a…

Workshop

Workshop by Marco Orazi

Via Flickr:

Dust and Silence | Facebook | Tumblr | 500px


TOWN MANSION

TOWN MANSION

The impressive Town Mansion was built in 1912 by order of the son of a German entrepreneur who had been based in Antwerp since the mid-19th century and was one of the founders of what would later become the transatlantic shipping company Red Star Line. He inhabited the mansion, with his wife and two sons, until his death in 1937. The eclectic-style mansion with the neo-Louis XVI slant belongs to the later oeuvre of the architect, who built a large number of distinguished townhouses in eclectic and neo-Flemish Renaissance style in Antwerp during the first decades of his career, but later focused on industrial architecture. After the death of the original occupant, the property was sold to a large family, akin to a major inland shipping company. Numerous adjustments and embellishments to the house date from his period, such as the figurative stained glass windows, the paneling and the gold leather in the rear salon and in the large salon the room-wide figurative frieze with classical themes and scenes referring to his trading activities in shipping. After the death of the owner of the house in 1961, his widow continued to live in the mansion until 1963, after which it became the property of the Belgian State. The valuable furniture of this building, which is often inextricably linked to the wall-fixed decoration (tapestries, incorporated into the paneling, paintings on the mantelpieces, and so on), is the property of the provincial administration and has been kept in storage for many years. The intention was to house the official residence of the governor there, but in view of the major renovation costs that the re-use would entail, this never happened. The building has been vacant since the early 1990s, resulting in several squatters. In the spring of 2018 the property was sold to a private owner who wishes to remain anonymous.

Due to Tumblr limitations only a small selection of photos is posted here. Check out the full album on my website!


%d bloggers like this: