Wünsdorf Military Base, Germany.
What once started as a German military shooting range in the 1800s
soon became one of Europe’s largest military bases during WWI.
In 1919 the Army Sports School was established here, training German athletes ahead of the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin.
After World War II the complete base became the headquarters of the
Soviet forces in East Germany during the communist era. At that time the
biggest Soviet camp outside the USSR. The town had a population of
60.000 people, 50.000 of them were soldiers. Native people weren’t
allowed inside the military town hence the nickname “Die Verbotene
Abandoned in 1994.